Author Topic: choosing sdcard as output folder  (Read 5761 times)

fabionucci

choosing sdcard as output folder
« on: April 14, 2015, 03:45:06 PM »
Hi, I'm new user of Total Video Converter 2.6, and I've noticed that whenever I try to choose the sdcard as my output folder application saves in another local folder.
What can I make to TVC choose sdcard (removable), as output folder?

Administrator

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • aKingi
Re: choosing sdcard as output folder
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2015, 03:22:00 PM »
Hi, I'm new user of Total Video Converter 2.6, and I've noticed that whenever I try to choose the sdcard as my output folder application saves in another local folder.
What can I make to TVC choose sdcard (removable), as output folder?

Hello @fabionucci, first of all I want to thank you for using our products.
About what you wrote, I suppose the application behaves in this way because you are using Android "Kitkat" or one of the two versions of "Lollipop". On these Android versions, third-party applications, and this is the case of our ones, cannot write on external devices connected to the device (ex. MicroSDs). For this we introduced this feature, basically the application writes to a custom folder of the internal storage in order to avoid write failures. This folder can be changed of course, just go to: "SETTINGS"-> remove the check on "Input folder" if it's checked and then go to "Custom output folder". After the restart, the application will write automatically on the selected folder and will not show errors, but only if the folder is in the internal memory. More informations about the "Kitkat"+ limitations can be found here and here.
If you have other problems feel free to ask, the forum is made for this  ;)
aKingi org founder

"The force is strong in this forum..."

sterval

« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2015, 02:13:29 AM »
I came here for the exact same reason! I cannot convert files due to the lack of internal storage space. Most apps upon install create their own private folder on the sd card where they can save datas without issues on all versions of android. I wish you could do the same with your app :)

Administrator

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • aKingi
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2015, 02:58:28 PM »
I came here for the exact same reason! I cannot convert files due to the lack of internal storage space. Most apps upon install create their own private folder on the sd card where they can save datas without issues on all versions of android. I wish you could do the same with your app :)

Hello @sterval and welcome to the forum  :)
What you wrote is an interesting workaround, we know about the possibility to write to external MicroSDs in the folder "Android\data\package-id-folder" but we never thought to exploit it to let users with a full internal memory select the external drive. We can easily integrate it before the next release (v.2.7 "Horus" expected for May), we can add an option in the SETTINGS so that the application can write in that folder. Of course the problem is that only advanced users will surely be able to use it.
@sterval, thank you for the suggestion, if you want you can add a ticket in the bug tracker so that we can refer to it in the changelog. If you want, we can also send you, before the release, some development builds to let you test them  ;)
aKingi org founder

sterval

« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2015, 03:05:33 PM »
Guys that would be amazing... as video files getting larger, it would be really useful to have the option to save in this folder even if it is somewhat buried, it can then be moved to a better suited location with the built-in file explorer (since built in apps are free to write anywhere).
I would be more than happy to test it :)

Administrator

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • aKingi
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2015, 05:50:17 PM »
Exact, it's a great feature and we really apprecciate your help :)
I saw you posted two things on the bug tracker, it's good because in this way we will insert the link and your reference in the changelog.
Btw about the second thing, the disable / grey out parameters when choosing \"copy\", it's incredible because just today we received a similar feedback by mail. The real problem is that, actually, the application has an option to copy only the original codecs (audio, video or both) so it is needed to add the COPY option for all the parameters in audio/video activities. Another important setting would be to do not touch video or audio tracks, this would need a little modify in the GUIs but I think all these things will be present in the final release of May, just a lot of test is needed.
So, @sterval, thanks for your availability for the test, give us some days to implement everything and we will soon inform you how to get the developmente builds (I think we will just upload the files in a public accessible folder in our server and we will give of course the links  ;)). Maybe we will also ask you a mail address or another way to communicate (like skype) in private later only to exchage informations strictly related to bugs.
aKingi org founder

sterval

« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2015, 06:08:27 PM »
I am the one who emailed you before finding the forum :)
Regarding the copy option it's weird, when i select copy codec, the other parameters do not seem to do anything if I do not touch them, correct? For example it's set to 320x240 by default when I copy codec on a 720p file, and the resulting file remains at 720p (which is good in my situation).
I emailed you back but it may be better to share info here as some other users might find it useful. With the popularity of cast devices like roku, chromecast etc, which are picky about formats, I think an android app capable of reencoding to the compatible format of these players without the need of a PC server could be a hit! And since it's often audio that is not compatible, a simple copy video option is a must to avoid unnecessary reencoding of the video.

Administrator

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • aKingi
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2015, 06:54:51 PM »
Ah yeah ok, now it's more clear  :)
Btw about what your reported, yes we did some tests and in fact by selecting the "COPY" the stream is not re-encoded and this means that if somebody selects it on the video or audio activity, then the video or audio stream remain the same in the output file. Of course this also means that if you select "COPY" in both audio or video activities everything else should be disabled because the options selected would not have effect. So this is finally the answer to your question: you can just avoid the re-encode of audio/video streams just selecting the COPY option in the corresponding activity.
@sterval, I have to be honest, this was another great suggestion, you have the possibility to appear two times in the changelog of next release  :D Of course we accepted the second report in the bug tracker. About the other thing, the communication, of course we will continue to use this forum because, as you wrote, can be useful for other users, and of course this is the main utility of this forum. But I prefer to exchange informations strictly related to the builds we will make you test on the mail, just for a matter of convenience.
Ok said it, we are implementing everything, the application is still in alpha stage but it is much stable now. From 2-3 days we will post again here and we will make you see how to get the development builds to test, we will publish also the development version of the codec because it is needed to update it too. Do you use a common ARMv7 Neon CPU right?
aKingi org founder

sterval

« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2015, 08:32:51 PM »
That's great! Looking forward to test the updates! Yes, i run the armv7neon. Thank you for being so proactive!

Administrator

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • aKingi
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2015, 11:16:19 AM »
Welcome  ;)
Btw sorry for the delay. After some days of tests we finally uploaded on our servers a build with the features requested.
These are the links:
Just install the two applications, no need uninstall the old ones first. Now we wait your feedback and of course of the other users who want to try these fresh builds  :)
aKingi org founder

sterval

« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2015, 01:41:55 PM »
Will test today  8)
I just did a few quick tests and it's great! I noticed sometimes the framerate on a copied video (no reencode on video) will be slightly different (from 29.97 to 29.97003 or vice versa). I think it happened on prior versions too and is probably insignificant so everything seems to work well! Thank you for this update!
« Last Edit: May 04, 2015, 12:43:48 AM by sterval »

Administrator

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • aKingi
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2015, 08:09:22 AM »
Welcome, I'm glad that everything works fine  :)
About the framerate modification, yes it should be insignificant since little variations about some multimedia settings are normal on output files.
@sterval thank you so much for your support, we would like to have this kind of support for every user if he/she finds problems.
If you have other questions or request feel free to contact us when you want  ;)
aKingi org founder

sterval

« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2015, 01:09:16 AM »
I reencoded the ac3 audio of some hd files >4gb to stream from the tablet to the roku player all on external sd and it worked like a charm in just a few minutes!

Administrator

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • aKingi
« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2015, 08:45:46 AM »
Yeah ok  ;)
So the COPY option is really useful. Generally to re-encode both video and audio streams of very big files (even 1GB) can be problematic so if you want to modify only one stream it can be done quickly.
aKingi org founder